My name is Jake though I usually go by “jbauer” online. I am a hobbyist sysadmin, recreational programmer, and supporter of online freedom, privacy rights, and free and open access to information and knowledge. I love simple and sustainable technologies, tea, writing, and gardening. I’m also a big fan of the small internet and low-tech or analog solutions to everyday problems.
I blog mostly about technology and computing. I also took part in #100DaysToOffload in 2020. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Free Software is an Abject Failure
- Why IRC is Still Good in $CURRENT_YEAR
- Why Email is the Best Discussion Platform
- Choosing a Self-Hosted Git Service
- Paying for Software
- The Joys of Old Tech
- A Month-and-a-Half of Self-Hosted Email
- Are TODO Applications a Waste of Time?
- Why I Hate The Term “Modern”
About This Site
This is a static website generated from Markdown using lowdown with my POSIX shell-based static site generator sbs. It is designed to be lightweight, accessible, and privacy-respecting. The site lives in a git repository. This site is also featured on 10kbclub.com and it’s a part of the XXIIVV Webring and the Fediring webring.
Ordered from most to least preferred, I can be contacted using:
- Email: email@example.com;
- XMPP: Not unless I know you;
- Fediverse: @firstname.lastname@example.org;
jbaueron OFTC, Libera.chat, maybe other networks.
This information is also accessible using the Finger
email@example.com on the command line.
If you’re contacting me using XMPP, please use OMEMO if you can. My device fingerprints (which can change) are currently:
PC: 42988003 bfdb1260 1bd43abe 598716ce d6d03e2c f680a395 a6b3c69a 7bf2cb2a Laptop: 2bc93b63 42dad123 0d321ebf dd42925c efce4052 f5347295 956677d8 ccb4080f Phone: 2b46e1a8 aaae9a82 48bbad53 d9922ca5 dcd160dc 02e25031 2ea0f6a1 e02ee31a