My name is Jake though I usually go by “jbauer” online. I am a hobbyist sysadmin, recreational programmer, and staunch supporter of online freedom, privacy rights, and free and open access to information and knowledge. I love simple and sustainable technologies, tea, writing, and gardening. I’m also a big fan of the small internet and low-tech or analog solutions to everyday problems.
git.paritybit.ca is currently offline but will come back online soon™.
I blog mostly about technology and computing. I also took part in #100DaysToOffload in 2020. Here are some to get you started:
- Free Software is an Abject Failure
- Why IRC is Still Good in $CURRENT_YEAR
- Why Email is the Best Discussion Platform
- Choosing a Self-Hosted Git Service
- Paying for Software
- The Joys of Old Tech
- A Month-and-a-Half of Self-Hosted Email
- Are TODO Applications a Waste of Time?
- Why I Hate The Term “Modern”
About This Site
This is a static website generated from Markdown using lowdown with my POSIX shell-based static site generator. It is designed to be lightweight, accessible, and privacy-respecting. The source code is available on sourcehut and git.paritybit.ca. This site is also featured on 10kbclub.com and is a part of the XXIIVV Webring and the Fediring webring.
Ordered from most to least preferred, I can be contacted using:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- XMPP: Not unless I know you;
- Fediverse: @email@example.com;
jbaueron OFTC, Libera.chat, maybe other networks.
If you’re contacting me using XMPP, please use OMEMO if you can. My device fingerprints (which can change) are currently:
PC: 60b3e979 10fc5a65 66cfe8fa a37f7b8a 7cd0678f 3bfdca6f 530a99cd 364a4444 Phone: 795483e4 695342bc 57c4f07a cb8b2009 247c5594 e6c52c8f b4781a96 1ae58277