My name is Jake though I usually go by “jbauer” online. I am a hobbyist sysadmin, recreational programmer, and supporter of online freedom, privacy rights, and free and open access to information and knowledge. I love simple and sustainable technologies, tea, writing, and gardening. I’m also a big fan of the small internet and low-tech or analog solutions to everyday problems.
I blog mostly about technology and computing. I also took part in #100DaysToOffload in 2020. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Free Software is an Abject Failure
- Why IRC is Still Good in $CURRENT_YEAR
- Why Email is the Best Discussion Platform
- Choosing a Self-Hosted Git Service
- Paying for Software
- The Joys of Old Tech
- A Month-and-a-Half of Self-Hosted Email
- Are TODO Applications a Waste of Time?
- Why I Hate The Term “Modern”
About This Site
This is a static website generated from Markdown using lowdown with my POSIX shell-based static site generator sbs. It’s designed to be lightweight, accessible, and privacy-respecting. It’s also featured on 10kbclub.com and is a part of the XXIIVV Webring and the Fediring webring.
Feel free to contact me using any of the methods below:
- Email (preferred): email@example.com;
- Fediverse: @firstname.lastname@example.org;
jbaueron OFTC, Libera.chat, Esper.net, Tilde.chat.
This information is also accessible using the Finger
email@example.com on the command line.
Here are my OMEMO fingerprints if you’re contacting me via XMPP:
PC: 5E4D6699 2EA20B6F 7B5F5130 7912B152 4E695A56 E5FD9950 6FC1DB3C A5EF005A Laptop: 0631B36B A8162F1B 40D4EC94 8DCB7EE3 7E1E2F26 2BDB7FE4 26DCA354 AE1E4C40 Phone: 2B46E1A8 AAAE9A82 48BBAD53 D9922CA5 DCD160DC 02E25031 2EA0F6A1 E02EE31A