My name is Jake though I usually go by “jbauer” online. I am a hobbyist sysadmin and staunch supporter of online freedom, privacy rights, and free and open access to information and knowledge.
Please note that git.paritybit.ca will remain offline for approximately 1.5 months, and my gemini server has been permanently taken offline.
I blog mostly about technology and computing. I also took part in #100DaysToOffload in 2020. Here is a showcase of the blog posts I am most proud of:
- Why IRC is Still Good in $CURRENT_YEAR
- Why Email is the Best Discussion Platform
- Choosing a Self-Hosted Git Service
- Paying for Software
- The Joys of Old Tech
- A Month-and-a-Half of Self-Hosted Email
- Are TODO Applications a Waste of Time?
- Why I Hate The Term “Modern”
- My Journey With Computers
About This Site
This website is a static site generated from Markdown files using lowdown with my POSIX shell-based static site generator. It is designed to be lightweight, accessible, and privacy-respecting.
Unless otherwise stated, all content on this website is licensed under the CC BY 2.0 Generic License and all code on and for this website is licensed under the ISC License. The source code is available on SourceHut and git.paritybit.ca.
Ordered from most to least preferred, I can be contacted using:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- XMPP: Not unless I know you.
- Fediverse: @email@example.com;
jbaueron OFTC, Libera.chat, maybe other networks;
If you’re contacting me using XMPP, please use OMEMO if you can. My device fingerprints are:
Main PC: 7a3f164d 86749636 d05cf773 aba94b3b bb32aecc a1f2913c abe029e4 e91be130 Android: 8a9331c8 7bc3191a 4d789958 6d02a8e4 931f0079 920b04f5 638dc456 37f85d1b