Posting Statuses on Pleroma with a Shell Script

Written By: Jake Bauer | Posted: 2020-08-09 | Last Updated: 2020-08-09

With the help of, I was able to figure out finally how to get an OAuth access token so that I could post status updates whenever I publish a new blog post just like I used to do when I was running Mastodon. In reality it was actually very simple to do, but I was missing something that could be done because it was undocumented.

Everything that I tried is documented in the issue on the Pleroma GitLab in case you’re curious.

The right way to do what I wanted to do was, after creating an app with something like:

curl -s -S -i -X POST \
    -F client_name="Blog Post Publishing Script" \
    -F redirect_uris="urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob" \
    -F scopes="read write" \

Do the following to get an access token:

curl -s -S -i -X POST \
    -F client_id="LjLZPKhnDnwwrleqa85ODJXzhOubLF9bSi6TDyW602A" \
    -F client_secret="<secret>" \
    -F redirect_uri="urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob" \
    -F scope="read,write" \
    -F grant_type="password" \
    -F username="jbauer" \
    -F password="<account_password>" \

As opposed to everything else that I was trying to do with visiting the webpage and whatnot. It really is this simple. Now I just put this access token into my publish script and it will automatically post a status update whenever I publish a new blog post.

This is my eighty-ninth post for the #100DaysToOffload challenge. You can learn more about this challenge over at