Setting Up a Status Page

Written By: Jake Bauer | Posted: 2020-06-09 | Last Updated: 2020-06-10

Update: Fix up some grammar errors and improve wording.

I’ve wanted to have a status page for my services for a while so that others and I can get a quick look at which of them are experiencing downtime. Ideally, I would also receive notifications when unexpected downtime is expected.

I figured I would use something like SmokePing or a simple set of scripts and a basic webpage but in either case I’d have to spend another $3.50-$5.00 per month on a VPS so that I’d have a unique host from which to monitor all the rest. I didn’t particularly fancy spending that much just to ping my servers, so when I found out about UptimeRobot, I was very intrigued.

They provide status monitoring with various notification options and a hosted webpage with either a free or paid plan. The free plan allows one to receive email alerts, set up 50 monitors, and update each monitor as fast as once every 5 minutes. They appear to make their money off of providing the paid plan which allows monitoring an increased number of hosts as fast as once every minute among other things.

After having a read through their Privacy Policy and deciding it seemed quite reasonable, I decided to make an account and try it out. I plan to stick with the free plan since I don’t need any of the features that the paid plan is offering.

The configuration panel on the site is very simple (in a good way). Everything is clearly laid out and very easy to navigate and interact with. Two factor authentication is offered and was painless to set up, and adding new hosts is very easy as is setting up the web page which displays a summary of your statistics. I set up my monitoring page at status.paritybit.ca.

I looked around at this status page and noticed that it only transfers ~73KB of data with a cold cache which is quite good. This is with Google fonts blocked since I noticed that the site was making requests to the following URLs:

fonts.gstatic.com
fonts.googleapis.com

As much as I’d prefer if the site didn’t make these third party requests, they are easy enough to blog using DNS filtering like PiHole or with uBlock Origin’s custom filters.

So far, my experience using the service has been very good. I like that both the service and configuration are simple and the web page it generates is not super heavy. I may, in future, roll my own status page but this seems like a sufficient solution for now.

This is my fortieth post for the #100DaysToOffload challenge. You can learn more about this challenge over at https://100daystooffload.com.